Saturday, August 28, 2010

Stumbling Around The Anniviers


The weather had turned a little cold and I decided it would be a good day to hike from the Moiry Barrage over the Col du Sorebois and down towards Zinal. There was snow on the top of the Col, but I put some of my ski thermals on, and caught the early Postbus up to the Barrage. The bus was pretty full, but as usual, most of the crowd melted away in other directions, and I was soon alone in making my way up through the cow meadow. I've skied down this slope in winter, it seems so much easier in the other direction.

On crossing the Col, it was snowing on me, and the cloud was pretty low, I paused to reflect on this being high summer. The views were quite limited.


With a view of the Sorebois Cable Car station within sight, I set off in search of a good cup of coffee. In winter the restaurant at the top of the Cable Car is self service. In summer there are a few tables set out, it's waiter service and not much use for anyone who needs a pit stop. Sitting outside was not practical as the weather was quite wet, so I decided to head down the Cable Car, and snack at the bottom. These scooters are for rent at the Cable Car Station, I stood on one, it felt pretty unstable!















It's a pretty steep ride down to Zinal village, but at least I was out of the rain. I caught the Postbus back to Grimentz, but along the road, the bus was flagged down by a farmer, who wanted to load a piece of metal fencing and have it taken to the village. The driver was happy to help, and as it didn't quite fit, the last part of the journey was completed with the side door of the Postbus open!

No comments: