Monday, August 23, 2010

Swiss Critters


Perhaps it was all down to me hiking later in the summer, but this year I have seen rather a lot of the local wildlife, close up. Yes, there was a bit of string between us, but not for long, as that's the way I'm headed! Some of the wildlife was a lot smaller and care was needed to avoid stepping on them. I suppose Frogs find enough to do in the mountains? Perhaps it was on vacation?

I came across a whole gang of butterflies on a path in St Luc. I have no idea what the collective term is, but they were apparently very busy doing stuff!


The local Herens cows fight quite naturally, it's rather like Sumo for cows. They like to push each other, and like most cows seem to be naturally quite inquisitive. The young cows, do seem to want to practice their fighting skills. So when I saw this, there seemed to be only one of two outcomes possible!


Over in Zinal, a plump cat was definitely in charge of photo opportunities, though a local Marmotte put in a strong showing.


 Up on Tsarva in Grimentz, some animals have to work for a living. This was a surprising sight at the Buvette Orzival. I believe this is a proper Mule, loaded down with baggage. Looks quite like a horse, but the head shape is different. The owners of the bags were about 200 metres behind, looking tired and hot.

I'd wondered which way up the party had come, and when hiking up to Bendolla a couple of days later, I saw hoof prints of an animal wearing metal shoes on the "Chemin Rapide" which is the steepest route!

No comments: