Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Weather 1 - Hiker 0


I set off to hike in Grimentz several days running, and turned back each day because the weather was not good. I was surprised at the amount of snow on the walking routes and as I was walking alone, I opted to turn around as the hills were very quiet.

Basset De Lona

I wanted to hike around Point De Lona across to Lac Lona and then onto the Basset De Lona, but was thwarted by the cloud descending. It was cold, and hard to see the route because of snow and cloud. In almost 5 hours of walking I saw no-one else. To add to my enjoyment, my boots leaked when I crossed a wide stream-twice. It's quite a rugged route and my guide book promised great views, which I completely missed due to the weather.




Cabane Becs des Bossons




I'd set off good and early, caught the first lift up to Bendolla and planned to reach the Cabane by 1pm latest. At about 11am it occured to me that I could not recall putting my sandwiches in my pack. Oh well, lunch would be an energy bar! I had a couple of hikers following me, perhaps they thought I knew where I was going, but for me, hills looks so different in summer. The path up to the top of the lift system, was quite snowy, and where I broke through the snow, there was shin deep orange mud underneath.

At the top, I set off towards the Cabane, but turned back after about 10 minutes, as the route was not visible under the snow, it's a traverse of a steep slope with much loose scree underfoot in parts. The folks that were following me, had not done the route either, but decided to keep going, planning to return via Pointe de Lona. I retreated back to my awaiting sandwiches and had lunch at 2pm having ascended 770m and descended 770m in 4 and a half hours. My boots leaked again, which was predictable given the conditions. These hills look so pristine in winter, early summer is very different.

No comments: