Monday, July 13, 2009

Getting Down To Business

My life is unfortunately not all skiing, hikes and Tarte au Myrtilles, so, having waved bye to Andy who was heading to the UK, the next day I started on the job in hand. As a warm up, I totally masked out the apartment, and then painting the ceiling twice. Thereafter I spent a portion of each day getting the apartment up to a reasonable standard of decor, planning to spend the remainder of the time on hiking.

One slight disadvantage of travelling light by air, is that I'm not able to carry my tools, so ended up buying some Swiss tools, plus paint, varnish, sandpaper etc. I have decided that I really prefer my own, and I have now developed a dislike of Swiss paint. The stuff for the ceiling was like glue, and I'm not happy with my work, and have decided to repaint it next winter, and use my favourite paint. The varnish for the exterior was also pretty thin and odd, and reacted with the existing covering, leaving a sticky mess, which needed more stripping back.

My best results were with the Wood Oil I'd purchased, which was French, and I'll seek out the brand again, as there is still plenty of interior woodwork to be restored. I refuse to worry about the labelling on the can. It was certainly not Hell to use!



It was good to be able to get out and about and enjoy the scenery, which helped me regain some perspective on what I was actually achieving each day.

No comments: