Friday, April 20, 2007

Val D'Anniviers Season Finale

After heading back to Geneva Airport with my partner Andy, we parted company, as he caught a flight back to the UK, and I caught a train to Sierre, with the intention of getting the Postbus to Grimentz. Plans do sometimes go wrong, and faced with a three hour wait for a bus , another stranded traveller did a deal with a taxi driver and we shared a taxi to up Val D' Anniviers. The view next morning makes up for any travel related stress.








Met up with ise and his friends and family for a great sunshine day both on and off piste. Grimentz was surprisingly crowded and we encountered queues for the lifts ise found a nice little gulley to ski in, even I managed to cope on my "girly Stormriders" (to quote ise) !















13/4 Grimentz and Zinal

Started the day cruising empty pistes in Grimentz, then caught the bus to Zinal to meet up with ise and ski the Chamois piste back to Grimentz. an excellent run, though the snow cover on the itinerary back to Grimentz was rather patchy. I'm so glad I have a rucksack with a ski carrier! After a substantial lunch, it was straight onto the Bendolla telecabine to meet up with brian who managed to spot me from the description I had sent by text....short, fat, old, black kit, girly Stormriders We took a few off-piste runs in the slushy afternoon snow, where ise decided to check out the snow depth by lying down and resting his legs.





Because I'm a nice person I did not get out my camera . He claimed it was my fault, as I wanted to ski in the "nice" gully we were in yesterday, only the snow was a little less pleasant!

Grimentz 14/4

Skied around in lovely warm sunny weather. Met up with Brian and his family for lunch. Sent a message to ise, but he was not feeling well, perhaps I skied him too hard yesterday . Spent the afternoon on the black Lona piste, top section, which was in excellent condition and very quiet.


























Grimentz 15/4

Hot and sunny day. Met up with ise, who had been indulging in some retail therapy, and wanted to try out his Stockli Stormrider Pit Lights, and Garmont Megaride boots. He had some new skins to match as well, and just had to try them out.







The pisteurs were busy taking down the marker poles (perhaps they had heard about me), and safety netting, so the piste skiing was a little more interesting. A live band was playing in the Bendolla restaurant at lunchtime, where we met up with Brian and his family. The conditions held up pretty well through the day, I fell over three times, and ise liked his new skis and boots, so all in all a pretty good season finale.

No comments: